Self-help or Support Groups - Contents
Directory of UK Self Help Groups (9th edition published spring 02) details over 780 UK Self Help Groups. £12.50 including postage and packing from G-Text, 259 Squires Gate Lane, Blackpool, FY4 3RE, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other web listings
- Self Help Connect UK Acts as a national as well as local resource.
- Self Help UK This works on a ‘search’ basis – they claim to have more than 1000 UK self-help and support groups on file. The front page was rather slow to load when we tried.
- TheSite Run by YouthNet, there are various advice pages with contact lists.
- Patient Lists UK self help and patient support groups, health and disease information providers.
- FindSupport National Directory.
- ChildLine Factsheets and other info. Phone 0800 1111.
- CLIMB Children Living with Inherited Metabolic Diseases.
- I Can For parents and professionals on speech and language development in children.
- Young Minds Mental health, for parents, young people, professionals.
- Contact A Family Has well-presented support network for rare diseases.
- Gingerbread The organisation for lone parent families.
- Sibling Support. A new support group for siblings of the disabled. Web site link is via Tuberous Sclerosis.
- Befriending Network (Scotland). Volunteers supporting people with life-threatening illness at home.
- Dyslexia British Dyslexia Association.
- Phobics Society – now Anxiety UK.
- DEBRA – Epidermolysis Bullosa.
- Epilepsy Action British Epilepsy Association site. Includes BEA-Connect, seeking to build a web community of the 40 million people world-wide suffering from this. Also see National Society for Epilepsy for information, message boards etc.
- Action for ME.
- Prostate Cancer UK.
- STARS Syncope Trust And Reflex anoxic Seizures. Fainting and related.