Sample documents are generally based on ones developed for particular organisations. As such, you should use them as a starting point rather than a definitive statement. Organisations differ in how they function and your circumstances (e.g. organisational structure, priority issues) should be taken into account. But better than a blank sheet!
Induction Checklist: Sample Document - Contents
This simple checklist was created for paid staff. While volunteers will need much of the same, some areas will need to differ. Legally, there should be some care not to use words that imply an employment contract. Clarifying mutual expectations is the suggested approach (whether there is a minimum time commitment, training needed to undertake certain roles, what roles are available). Also who they report to if providing, for example, admin help across departments can be a concern.
- When, where to arrive, who to meet.
- Terms and conditions, contract.
- Job description, any further background notes.
- Introductions to immediate colleagues (Team).
- Office basics:
- Office access and security
- Health and safety.
- Fire drill
- First aid procedures/officers
- General office facilities – post, copier, stationery supplies, drinks, phone answering, diaries etc.
- Workstations, equipment
- Clarify personnel issues – holiday arrangements, office hours and cover, dress code, sickness reporting
- Introduction to other office staff (as available).
- Basic structure and purpose of organisation *.
- Clarify job, key relationships *.
- Starting tasks *.
- Communication channels, responsibilities *
- – within Team
- – outline for whole organisation.
- General work standards *.
- Specific facilities/resources for the job.
- Supervisory sessions *.
- Organisation’s history, policies, goals, structure *.
Those items marked * above will need to be revisited and developed over time.
Assessment of initial training and development needs.
WITHIN FIRST SIX MONTHS
First appraisal interview/probationary period review.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.
Connected articles (by tag)
- Charity Recruitment Agencies
- Financial Procedures: Sample Document
- Managing People
- Person Specification: Sample Document
- Appraisal Form: Sample Document
- Risk Assessment: Sample Document
- Key Questions for Online Communication Strategies
- Mission: Sample Document