This page will include online-only publications with frequent news/feature articles.
Magazines - Contents
Most generally useful
- Charity Finance Monthly, mainly covers finance issues but in a broad way, plenty on investment and law. Subs from £97 p.a. Part of Civil Society Media (the website has wider sector news), phone 020 7819 1200.
- Charity Times Published 6 times a year – a fairly general look at the sector. Available as download. From Perspective Publishing.
- Third Force News is the weekly paper produced by SCVO for Scotland’s voluntary sector, also worth visiting online. News, events, briefings, reviews etc. Printed version free to members, £85 p.a. to others. Phone 0131 556 3882.
- Third Sector Monthly print edition from July 2014, with more frequent electronic options. For ‘Charities, Voluntary Organisations, Social Enterprises’, in particular senior staff and trustees. Part of Haymarket Publishing. Editorial: 174 Hammersmith Road, London, W6 7JP, phone 020 8267 4955.
See Knowledge Management page for KM4D.
- 3CMedia e-journal of Community, Citizens’ and Third Sector Media and Communication, published by the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia.
- International Journal of Not-for-Profit Law (IJNL) Available online.
- International Journal of Education and Development using ICT.
- Journal of Community Informatics (enabling communities through ICT).
- Journal for Nonprofit Management produced annually by the Support Center for NonProfit Management (in New York).
- Nonprofit Management & Leadership Margaret Harris is International Editor, and it is co-sponsored by Centre for Voluntary Organisation at the LSE. ISSN 1048-6682. $102, 4 issues a year.
- Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly ARNOVA Journal (research). Serves “a wide community of scholars and professionals who are interested in issues such as volunteerism, citizen participation, philanthropy, and nonprofit organizations.” Quarterly: March, June, September, December. ISSN 0899-7640. Rates for 2003: £71 individual, £208 institutional.
- Vita International An online publication aiming to become the voice of European civil society. A spin-off from Italian site Vita.
- Voluntas – International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, connected with International Society for Third Sector Research (ISTR). ISSN 0957-8765 (online: 1573-7888). 4 issues a year, published by Springer Link.
- Charities Management Six or seven times a year, not that exciting, from Mitre House Publishing.
- Governance Bi-monthly from Civil Society Media aimed at charity trustees. Annual sub £145 for five copies of each edition to share amongst the board (at summer 2011).
- Network magazine, the quarterly membership magazine from ACEVO (for charity chief executives) is available on subscription, £40 p.a. at summer 2011. You may need to email them for details.
- Voluntary Action The journal of the Institute of Volunteering Research, published 3 times a year. ISSN 1465-4067. Phone 020 7520 8900.
- Volunteering from Volunteering England is exclusive to members. ISSN 0961 5075. Phone 020 7520 8900.
- Voluntary Sector Review The journal of Voluntary Sector Studies Network, published three times a year.
- Capital Community Foundations Guess what, it covers community foundations in London, so will be mainly of relevance to those involved in related areas. Email email@example.com, leave a phone number and they will get in touch to see if you are an appropriate recipient.
- Journal of Community Work and Development was published by CDF, twice a year. No longer?
- Russell House Publishing produces two journals, Social Work in Europe and Youth Justice, the journal of the National Association of Youth Justice.
Care and Health
- Community Care Social care in the statutory and voluntary sectors.
- Field Exchange tri-annual magazine containing field articles, research and news pieces for those working in emergency nutrition and food security.
- A range of titles are produced by Pavilion Publishing, such as Mental Health Review, Community Safety Journal, Working with Older People, Housing, Care and Support. Phone 01273 623222, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Start ‘articulating the alternative’ for places, local economics and more.
- Placemaking Resource, incorporating Regeneration and Renewal. Loads of news items on the website, from Haymarket Publishing.
- Inside Housing Social housing news, jobs.
- Social Housing “Finance-related news, economic and planning data”.
- 24Housing Monthly magazine for people who work in and around social housing.
- Pioneers Post (was Social Enterprise) “web newspaper”.
- Children & Young People Now from Haymarket Publishing.
Fundraising and Marketing
- Fundraising Published 10 times a year, subscriptions from £89 p.a. ISSN 0961 5679. From Civil Society Media, phone 020 7819 1200.
- International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing. Case studies, reviews, and peer-reviewed articles, with an editorial board of academics as well as professionals, mainly from US and UK. Published by John Willey and Son, subscription £90 to £245 for 4 issues a year.
- Philanthropy Impact “Inspiring philanthropy and social investment across borders, sectors and causes”.
- Association Management From American ASAE organisation. Produce various books and research via their Foundation.