Publishers - Contents
- Directory of Social Change Full catalogue on the website. The widest range, and they sell selected titles from other publishers. 24 Stephenson Way, London, NW1 2DP – drop-in bookshop and library open 9am to 5pm Mon-Fri (near Euston station). Phone 020 7209 5151, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ICSA Bookshop (Institute for Chartered Secretaries and Administrators). Have Marketing, IT, Project Management titles as well as more general charity administration books and manuals. ICSA, 16 Park Crescent, London, W1N 4AH, phone 020 7580 4741.
- LVSC (London Voluntary Service Council) publishes Just About Managing and a number of other titles.
- The Policy Press Based at University of Bristol, policy type publications on everything from Ageing to Welfare/Poverty, and some on Voluntary Sector (eg Partnership working: Policy and Practice; A right result?: Advocacy, justice and empowerment).
- Many of the organisations listed on the Professional/Support Bodies pages produce some useful titles. Relevant titles and publishers are also mentioned on other VolResource pages, such as Volunteer management.
- Chapel and York International Fundraising (especially from US sources). Books are half-price to any charity or nonprofit with an annual income of less than £60,000.
- CharityFinancials from CaritasData Following publications no longer listed, so not produced any more? Top 3000 Charities, UK Top 10,000 Charities, Top 1000 Charities in Scotland, Who’s Who in Charities.
- Earthscan, now part of Routledge. Originally set up to publish titles on environment, development and sustainability, it now does co-publishing on a wider area, including books on ‘Urban Development and Community’.
- Civil Society Media Publish Charity Finance and other charity titles. The autumn 2016 web revamp seems to have dropped a number of finance checklists and the Charity Finance Yearbook but might reappear. 15 Prescott Place, London, SW4 6BS, phone 020 7819 1200.
- Russell House Publishing A lot of social services, youth and community work related titles, as well as some useful ones on general sector management issues. 4 St George’s House, The Business Park, Uplyme Road, Lyme Regis, Dorset, DT7 3LS. Phone 01297 443948, email: email@example.com
- White Lion Press Fundraising related, now based in France! Kermarquer, 56310 Melrand, France, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Croner Publish various manuals, such as Management of Voluntary Organisations; Care Homes; Financial Reporting for Charities, available on 10 day trial, with regular update services. I’ve always found these the easiest of the loose-leaf manuals to use, but not cheap. The online Croner Select regulation compliance information facility changes in Feb 05 – limited access without a subscription. 145 London Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT2 6BR, phone 020 8247 1261 (Customer Services), email: email@example.com
- Jordan Publishing Various charity titles including The Charities Administration Service (with NCVO), updated twice a year £117-50 plus p&p including first year updates. They have a Charities section on the web site. Phone 0117 923 0600.
- Key Haven Publish legal and tax titles.
- Kogan Page Publish How to manage a voluntary organization with CD-ROM of templates, checklists etc.
- Palgrave All areas of Social Care – Health, Nursing, Social Work, Social Policy and Counselling. Contact Fiona Woodruffe-Peacock, phone 0256 302611, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Routledge, part of Taylor and Francis. An academic focus, with various social care related titles. There is a Routledge Studies in the Management of Voluntary and Non-Profit series. Relevant titles include The Governance of Public and Non-Profit Organizations (Chris Cornforth, Open University, Oct 02/paperback May 05); Nonprofit Organizations (Nov 04), Fundraising Management, Arts Management, Strategic Management for Nonprofit Organizations, Financial Management in the Voluntary Sector. Phone 020 7583 9855, email: email@example.com You can also check out their journals on the Taylor and Francis website, if you know the title.
- Many of Tolley’s/Butterworth range of ‘Charity Administration’ titles are now with Bloomsbury Professional. Relevant titles (prices at 2004!) include: Charities Manual (£154), Charity Administration Handbook (£44-95), Charity Investigations (£48-95), Charity Accounting and Taxation (£59-95).
Also see Areas of Concern section.
- Community Links produces a number of titles of interest, in particular the Ideas Annuals which provide practical examples of projects tackling local community issues.
- National Children’s Bureau Online bookshop. Subject areas include Young children and their families, Child protection and health, Education, Disabled children and special needs, Children living away from home, Children and young people’s participation. Note: at Sep. 2014 NCB’s publishing arm has been sold to Jessica Kingsley Publishers, so this info may change. 8 Wakley Street, London EC1V 7QE, phone 020 7843 6000
- Forest Books have a deafness issues specialist interest and supply by mail order, as well as being a bookshop in Forest of Dean. Phone 01594 833858.
- UK Youth resources are for those working with young people.