Consultancy Services - Contents
Choosing a Consultant
In our opinion, most consultancy work depends on the experience of, and good working relations with, a particular individual consultant, whether they are part of a larger team or not. It is therefore difficult to give recommendations to consultancy firms as a whole. However, those listed here have earned their place in some way!
Management Development Network (see Further Contacts below) has a page on Choosing and briefing a management consultant or trainer.
Management consultancy, personnel, interim and project management
plus possibly communications, fundraising, financial, research.
- Amber Analysis Consultancy, research, evaluation and capacity building services from Libby Cooper, the founder and former Director of Charities Evaluation Services. Phone 020 7607 1292.
- Bernstein Associates Management, fundraising and marketing consultancy with 20 years charity sector experience.
- BEST management training and consultancy services to voluntary sector organisations primarily within Wales provided by Shirley David. Phone 01646 651655, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blue Spark Consulting. ICT, organisational development, strategy etc.
- Charities Evaluation Services. A charity itself – see Quality, Monitoring page.
- Charity Leaders “revolutionising leadership in the voluntary sector”.
- Community Links training and consultancy services cover community research, leadership, organisational development, and more.
- Compass Partnership, Greenbanks, New Road, Bourne End, Bucks, SL8 5BZ, phone 01628 478561, email: email@example.com
- Connections Partnership. Personnel consultants to the voluntary sector. Gill Taylor, 94 Howard Road, Leicester, LE2 1XH, phone 0116 270 5876, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consultancy.coop “a co-operative of experienced third sector consultants based in Wales”.
- Dovetail Management Consultancy Practical experience ‘dovetailed’ with business sense for the public and voluntary sector. Advice, consultancy and training on strategy, fundraising, finance, information and communications technology, facilities management. Phone 020 7639 0090 / 0845 456 8208, email: email@example.com
- Tracy Elliott. Management Consultant and Trainer, over 14 years experience with the voluntary sector. Experienced facilitator with group work skills, strategic management / business planning expertise, trained mentor / facilitator for Practical Quality Assurance System for Small Organisations (PQASSO). 61 Talbot Street, Canton, Cardiff, CF11 9BX, phone 029 2022 5314, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tamara Essex Experienced voluntary sector trainer, consultant and fundraiser (particularly health and social care), now based in Dorset. Email: email@example.com
- Holmes Consultancy Services was established to provide practical solutions in computing and IT, fundraising and charity management. Phone 01522 544927, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Impact Consultancy & Research Social and community based research, project evaluation and support and development services, particularly in a rural context. Specialist knowledge of community engagement and empowerment. Based Shropshire.
- Indigo Project Solutions is a project management and fundraising consultancy which provides development support to social enterprises, voluntary organisations, councils and the education sector. Lochside House, 3 Lochside Way, Edinburgh EH12 9DT, phone 0131 452 2031.
- Inspiracion Experienced consultant providing management consultancy services to the voluntary sector including: strategic development, interim management, evaluation, research, training, fundraising. Phone 020 7737 3341, email: email@example.com
- Inspire2Aspire Director Sarah Brown. Work with charities to develop visions, Values plans and strategies, plus help implement the change process. Phone 01709 810080.
- Andrea Kelmanson. Over 40 years of sector experience. 93 Chase Road, London, N14 4LA, phone 020 8886 1595. LinkedIn profile.
- Linda Laurance & Associates Consultancy, training, facilitation, mediation, coaching and mentoring- assisting boards and senior management teams to be effective leaders.
- MaD Resource Charity and voluntary sector consultants and training
- The Management Centre, Blue Jay Works, 117 Gauden Road, London, SW4 6LE, phone 020 7978 1516
- Peach Consultancy Infrastructure, capacity building, strategic planning, governance, partnership, fundraising, social enterprise and research consultants; ISO 9001 and NCVO approved. 33 Arragon Gardens, London, SW16 5LY, phone 020 8679 2810, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Practical Wisdom R2Z, formed in 2010 by researchers and consultants Colin Rochester, Bill Rushbrooke and Meta Zimmeck, specialising in the voluntary and community sector and volunteering.
- The Projects Company, Willow Lodge, Church Road, High Beach, Loughton, Essex, IG10 4AJ, phone 020 8502 2327, email: email@example.com
- Prospect Consultancy (Aliona Laker) Management and fundraising consultants.
- Katie Rowan. Trustee Support and Training Packages; Developing successful supported volunteering projects. 2 Rheidol Terrace, London, N1 8NT.
- Shirley Scott (Manygate Consulting) Brings many years of experience to the governance, management and planning needs of charities. Phone 07976 150171 or 01932 267645, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Value Lab (was Think) “a national hub for social sector research and action”.
- Transparency Solutions (was Transparency Research) has capabilities in social research, evaluation, policy analysis and charity consultancy, with various sector experience.
- Ask Sue Tuffin Consultancy, evaluation and training services in facilitation, organisational review and development, trustee recruitment, monitoring and evaluation, research, information materials and personal career planning. 21 Jackson Avenue, Leeds, LS8 1NP, phone 0113 2931357, email: email@example.com
- Marion Grace Woolley Member of the Society for Operational Research with experience of working with small-scale NGOs in the UK and East Africa. Strategic planning, training, stakeholder research etc.
Consultancy around specific issues, functions
- Finders Keepers is a volunteering consultancy – advice, recruitment, retention, management. Based in Cornwall.
- Populo HR in Hampshire run by Dr Sonia Wilson.
The Management Development Network is an organisation of/for independent management trainers and consultants in the sector. The directory of members is on the web site. The directory can also be obtained for £15 (incl. p&p and 2 updates) from 39 Gabriel House, Odessa Street, London, SE16 0HQ, phone 020 7232 0726.
Online Register of Arts Consultants and Trainers is a database managed on behalf of Arts Council England and Arts Council of Scotland.
EUConsult is the ‘European Association of Consultants to and about the Not-for-Profit Sector’ and lists UK (and other) members on its website.
NCVO has a list of recommended consultants – see Support Bodies.
Free, pro bono or low-cost consultancy
- The Worshipful Company of Management Consultants is a City guild, which arranges pro bono (free) work with “charities concerned with people who are disadvantaged by their nationality, faith, health, family and social situation”.
- The Cranfield Trust provides free management and technical consultancy to charities working in the areas of disability, poverty and social exclusion. Court Room Chambers, 1 Bell Street, Romsey, SO51 8GY, phone 01794 830338, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Register a need for help from financial experts on a volunteering website from Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and the Chartered Accountants’ Benevolent Association.
- Pro Bono Economics “matches volunteer economists with charities wishing to address questions around measurement, results and impact”.
- Pro Bono Operational Research (OR) via The OR Society.
- At Sep. 2014, the Royal Statistical Society is establishing Statisticians for Society, in partnership with Statistics without Borders and DataKind UK.
- REACH is a volunteering clearing house for professionals.
Also see: Sources of professionals for management committees/trusteeship on the Trustee and Member Resources page, Technology Services for volunteer IT consultants. Plus our page of websites listing professional (employee) volunteering opportunities.
Note: Pro Bono Week (in October) has spread from its American origins, but not yet in UK, at 2014.
There are various employee volunteering initiatives around – try your local sector support organisation (CVS) – which could help you find free (or low cost) professional help. Also see the Business in the Community community investment programme.
Prohelp, connected with BitC, is a national network of professional firms who give their time and expertise for free to voluntary and community groups. Members include surveyors, architects, accountants, solicitors, property consultants, engineers, IT consultants etc and undertake one-off projects such as feasibility studies, structural surveys, marketing plans, legal advice. Phone 020 7566 8722.
Pilotlight “helps small charities and social enterprises to grow by matching them with business people who help the charities for three hours a month, for up to two years. Pilotlight manages the relationship between the charities and business people, guiding them through a tried and tested model to develop a strategic plan.” Free to charities. Phone 020 7396 7414, email: email@example.com
We have had some requests to give contacts here. There are many around, and we do not have any particular knowledge on the best or worst.
- Action Planning. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carus Consultants.
- Charity Consultants.
- Charity Fundraising Ltd. Work with a wide range of charities to achieve major grant funding as well as advice and training.
- Craigmyle & Co Email: email@example.com
- Cultural Intelligence “Research and evaluation within the cultural sector”, east England.
- Andrew de Mille Fundraising Consultants
- Dovetail Management Consultancy See above.
- Fundraising Research and Consultancy.
- Fundraising UK (Howard Lake).
- Management Centre.
- Tarnside Consulting.
- Third Sector Mission Control.
- Wootton-George Consulting.
Also try: Association of Fundraising Consultants PO Box 9, Woodstock, OX20 1ZJ, phone 01582 762446, email: firstname.lastname@example.org