Finance Resources - Contents
- CASH-Online Key site Community Accountancy Self-Help (CASH) provides ‘finance advice and training for small charities and voluntary groups’. Based in west London, the web site continues to be developed slowly as an essential resource. CashFacts online include Bank Reconciliation, Financial Controls, Volunteer Expenses, Budgets – in various formats, some including audio. Useful to the finance novice in any area.
- Community Accountancy Network. Should have details of local community accountancy services, where they exist. There’s also some guidance material.
- Charity Commission Various publications available to help charities comply with accounting regulations.
- There is a dedicated website for the Charity SORP accounting standards, jointly sponsored by Charity Commission and OSCR, the Scottish regulator.
- Charity Finance Group. For charity finance staff and senior management.
- Mango, now part of Humentum, provides financial management services to the aid sector in the field. See their Guide to Financial management for some basics on budgeting, reporting etc. Seek out their Downloads section, for their complete Excel based accounting system.
- Sayer Vincent are an accountancy firm specialising in the non-profit sector. Their web site has some useful information, although the sections on software effectively just says ‘refer to our consultant for advice’.
- AccountingWeb ‘Find an accountant’, information on software companies, news. Nothing sector specific, but plenty of useful tips, an email news update and more.
- Association of Charity Independent Examiners.
- Association of International Accountants Worth checking out by those operating abroad.
- Taxation (HM Revenue and Customs) – see our charity taxation page for links.
Charity Finance Monthly magazine – see Magazine page.
Charity Finance Accounts Compliance Checklist produced by Charity Finance magazine – see Civil Society Media shop, under Books (£45 at 2011). Designed for all UK charities with gross income over £100,000.
Scrutiny of charity accounts – article on our web site (courtesy of Croners/Gareth Morgan) about independent examination for the smaller charity.
A sample Financial Procedures (or Financial Standing Orders if you prefer) lightly edited from a ‘real life’ version can be used as a starting point for your own, or to prompt thoughts, improvements etc. Please read the introductory notes.
Charity Accountants Conference. Annual event run by Directory of Social Change, usually early September.
Community Accountancy Self Help 1 Thorpe Close, London, W10 5XL, phone 020 8969 0747. Run a programme primarily for Kensington, Chelsea, Brent, Hammersmith and Fulham groups, but open to others too. Subjects range from a half-day on Bank Reconciliation to 4 day Financial Administration, with others on Unit Costs/Pricing Services, Management Committee Finance Reports and how the PQASSO quality assurance system (from CES – see Training page) relates to finance.
Directory of Social Change run a variety of useful courses, with trainers from Sayer Vincent or Community Accountancy Project. See main Training page.