The number of groups that seek to support particular functions or issues within voluntary organisations has been growing slowly. Co-operation has also generally improved. While many of those listed here operate on a membership or subscription basis, some useful info may be available to non-members.
Support Bodies - Contents
General National Bodies
- National Council of Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) For organisations in England with a national or local remit. Runs conferences and seminars, sources discounts from various suppliers. Free membership for organisations with income below £30,000 a year. Regent’s Wharf, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL, phone 020 7713 6161.
- Northern Ireland Council for Voluntary Action (NICVA) Useful weekly email newsletter. 61 Duncairn Gdns, Belfast, BT15 2GB, phone 028 9087 7777.
- Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO) produces weekly newspaper Third Force News, and has free helpline number 0800 169 0022. Members can get discounts on SCVO training and publications, various software, and also access to Pension Scheme and Credit Union. Free membership for organisations with income below £25,000 a year. Phone 0131 474 8000.
- Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA) Membership from £30, plus free limited ‘e-membership’ for smaller voluntary and community groups. Baltic House, Mount Stuart Square, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF10 5FH, phone 0800 2888 329 (or 029 2043 1700). Offices also in Rhyl, Aberystwyth.
- Association of Jersey Charities.
For smaller organisations
- Small Charities Coalition Aims to enable registered charities with an income of less than £1 million to gain from sharing experience and skills. (Merged with Charity Trustee Networks 2011.)
- Foundation for Social Improvement.
Gender, ethnicity etc.
- Council of Ethnic Minority Voluntary Sector Organisations – CEMVO – was wound up 2013. CEMVO Scotland is still going.
- Black Training and Enterprise Group “A networking organisation supporting over 600 third sector organisations across the country.”
- Voice4Change England “A partnership of national and regional organisations that speaks for the interests of the Black and Minority Ethnic Third Sector at local, regional, and national levels.”
- Black Voluntary Sector Network Wales Not active at May 2013.
- Black and Ethnic Minority Infrastructure in Scotland.
- Women’s Resource Centre Co-ordinating and support organisation for voluntary and community projects that work for and with women.
- Consortium of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered voluntary and community organisations.
- Association of Charitable Organisations Body for “benevolent charities” (those providing aid and advice to individuals in need). Was Association of Charity Officers.
- Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations (ACEVO). Helplines on various issues and regular magazine and events. 1 New Oxford Street, London, WC1A 1NU, phone 0845 345 8481.
- In Northern Ireland, CO3 (website has a Belize address!) Chief Officers Third Sector. 34 Shaftesbury Square, Belfast, BT2 7DB, phone 028 9024 5356. Scotland: Association of Chief Officers of Scottish Voluntary Organisations, 20 Forth Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3LH, phone 0131 550 3712.
- Charities Evaluation Services provides support on performance improvement. They supply PQASSO, the sector-specific popular quality system. See our quality management pages for more. Phone 020 7713 5722.
- Institute of Association Leadership. For senior staff responsible for the management, development and governance of trade bodies, professional institutes and other societies.
- Also see Finance, Legal, Admin on Functional Support page. And volunteer management page, includes National Association for Voluntary Service Managers.
- Professional Associations Research Network Membership body for professional associations, increasingly international in scope.