Most charities will be quite capable themselves of processing claims for tax under Gift Aid – the forms aren’t complicated and there is cheap software available. See our reference page. But if you have loads of donations and few staff or volunteers, you might want somebody else to do the transfer of the information (name, payment amount and date) on to the claim form.
Other services offered include Give As You Earn (payroll giving) admin, facilities for donors to make all their charity giving tax efficient e.g. an account from which you make ‘cheque’ or card payments. The resulting payments can be quite time consuming to process: record donation, put on claim form or fill in voucher details, send off, reconcile payment when received. You need to make sure you don’t reclaim tax (eg by Gift Aid) on donations made by one of these facilities, as it will already have been reclaimed. Also check that these payments are not for merchandise, publications or member benefits (except where this falls within the set allowances). Donors can easily get confused on this if order forms aren’t clear.
- Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) is the most well-known, and advertises its various services for charity givers widely. They offer all sorts of services, as well as promotional material. Phone 0800 993311
- Charities may receive vouchers, card payments or Standing Orders which need to be processed via CAF. You will usually have to register your charity with CAF to benefit.
- Run Legacy Account and Personal Charitable Trust facilities for those with substantial personal assets.
- Liverpool Charity and Voluntary Services has a Charity Accounts service, an alternative to CAF. 14 Castle Street, Liverpool, L2 0NJ, phone 0151 236 7728.
- Charities Trust Payroll giving and corporate donation management agency. Registered charity which charges a set administration fee of 25p (at spring 07), with any surplus money distributed amongst UK charities annually. Suite 22, Century Building, Brunswick Business Park, Tower Street, Liverpool. L3 4BJ.
- Payroll Giving in Action puts various charities in front of potential employers/employees. 11a Litchdon St, Barnstaple, N Devon, EX32 8ND, phone 01271 329001.
- Sharing the Caring / StC Payroll Giving “the workplace giving experts”.
- Stewardship# Payroll giving etc. Offices in Chelmsford and Loughton (both Essex), phone 08452 26 26 27.
- (South West) Charitable Giving.
- Your accountants or solicitor can do the tax reclaim for you, at a cost.