Policies and Procedures Checklist


Has your organisation got all the policies or procedures it needs? The following does not pretend to be complete, or what everybody needs, but it is a starting point. We have grouped these, but an item can address more than one area in practice. Try not to be overwhelmed by the length of the list – some will only need to be short, but a bit of careful thought now can save major problems later. New organisations shouldn’t try to achieve perfection too quickly (unless you’ve got loads of resources) – identify the most important for your situation and get those right first.

The difference between Policy and Procedure, and quite what goes where, gets a lot of people confused. We would say that procedures follow on from policy – how you do it in practice – and can be a separate document or a section of the same. It is often worth trying to be clear, as a policy change may or may not alter the procedure, while a necessary change in procedure should not be allowed to change the policy by default. It should be clear in a procedure which policy or policies it relates to.

Other sector resources on policies and procedures

Resource Centre Did have following material: The Chair’s job, Legal structures, News release, The Secretary’s job, Constitutions, Media contacts, The Treasurer’s job, Bank accounts, State your case, AGM checklist, Running a creche, Radio interviews.

Community Toolkit, managed by Skye and Lochalsh CVO, has lots of useful material. Note that on some matters Scottish law varies from English/Welsh.

Search on NCVO’s Knowhow Nonprofit site for policies you are interested in.

Basic requirements

  • Health and Safety Policy and Procedure. See H&S issue page. Could include:
    • Workstation assessment procedure.
    • Fire safety.
  • Equal Opportunities Statement of Intent. See Equal Opps bodies for some guidance. Could include:
    • Harassment.
    • reference to Recruitment procedure.
  • Confidentiality Policy (including Data Protection – see Info Management page).
  • Risk Assessment. This was under H&S, but the current charity SORP (accounting standard) requires trustees to consider risks and review the steps needed to mitigate them much more widely. See sample document, and the Insurances/Risk Management issues page.


  • Volunteers. See Volunteers page for sources of advice.
    • Basic Policy (when you would use volunteers, how to recruit/assess suitability, management, two-way ‘contract’).
    • Expenses Policy (with due regard to Inland Revenue rules – see Finance Procedures or Tax and Expenses page).
    • Volunteer Charter, Exit Interview Questionnaire, and other examples should be available at the Volunteer Managers discussion list (look under Files).
  • Staff Disciplinary procedure.
  • Staff Grievance procedure.
  • Staff Appraisal procedure. See sample Appraisal Form.
  • Supervision.
  • Staff expenses – see Finance Procedures below and refer to Pay, Tax and Expenses page
  • Staff loans (travel, cycle, car).
  • Union recognition Policy.
  • Sick Leave Policy and procedure.
  • Leave policy and procedure.
  • Time off in Lieu Policy and procedure.
  • Public Duties.

People management issues are covered further on the linked page.

  • NCVO will send model standard and fixed term employment contracts in return for an sae to the Helpdesk, NCVO, Regent’s Wharf, 8 All Saints Street, London, N1 9RL (helpdesk phone 0845 600 4500).
  • See Employment page for more sources of advice, including relevant government regulations.

Office Management

  • Green Office Policy/Environmental Impact. See issues page.
  • E-mail/internet use policy.
  • Personal, or associated group, use of office facilities.
  • Security.

Also see Admin page for issues.

Ethics, Empowerment, Improvement


  • Sponsorship or Fundraising Policy.
  • Partnership working. See issues page, including Compacts with public sector funders which should be common to all organisations in the area.
  • Campaigning Policy. Methods, issues, co-operation?
  • Media Handling – who is authorised to say what, how to handle probing questions. Think about before a sensitive issue hits! See Getting the message across.
  • Supplier selection (fairness or reasons for preferences such as environmental or social, value for money, reference to Finance Procedures).


See Finance Resources page.

  • Insurances (possibly for events, volunteers, trustees etc. as well legal requirements).
  • Reserves Policy (required under Charity SORP).
  • Other accounting policies often part of audit process (eg valuation of assets).
  • Financial Policies and Procedures. See Sample.


See Governance page.

  • AGM procedures.
  • Committee Procedures (standing orders). What to do in the absence of the chair, voting, declarations of interest, expenses.
  • Management Committee/Board (and sub-committee) Terms of Reference. Could be part of standing orders. Constitution may give the legal framework, but not usually easy to refer to. Can help to clarify where policy is made, where responsibility for key areas lies (with sub-committee, main committee, chair, senior staff, outside consultant etc). If a registered charity or company, make sure that ‘lines of responsibility’ back to the Board are clear.
  • Job descriptions for officers – chair, treasurer (see sample Financial Procedures), secretary and any others.
  • Conflicts of Interest.

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.

Trustee and Member Resources


Don’t forget that trustees often go under another name. In charities which are limited companies, they will also be company directors. The board might be called a management committee.

Training, Advice, Networks

There have been a number of initiatives around ‘Good Trusteeship’ over the years, although some have now disappeared off the web. Here are some useful current results.

Charity Trustee Networks became part of Small Charities Coalition in 2011.

NCVO’s Governance and Leadership pages now generally refer elsewhere.

In Northern Ireland Volunteer Development Agency, which has become part of Volunteer Now, had a governance project offering training, support and information for management committee members – now defunct? But see the next item.

DIY Committee Guide provides online access to “extensive resources and guidance for voluntary management committees in Northern Ireland”.

TrusteElearning has 12 online training modules developed by the Governance Hub and Suffolk Association of Voluntary Organisation.

See Functional support bodies for Charity Treasurers’ Forum.

Other umbrella bodies have useful material. For example Supported Housing Alliance has Job descriptions for Company Secretary, Treasurer, Management Committee member etc. (look under Publications).

Published Guidance

Codes of conduct:

Duties of Charity Trustees pocket size introduction to the issues from specialist solicitors Bates Wells and Braithwaite.

Charity Commission also publishes guidance. See The Essential Trustee (CC3) for instance and check out other material on their web site. Also of interest CC24 Users on Board: Beneficiaries who become trustees looking at how potential conflicts of interest can occur, suggests ways to minimise their effects and lists sources of further guidance for charities looking at the issue. Publications order line 01823 345427.

There’s a trustee’s checklist on our Governance issues page.


REACH recruits volunteers (to be placed in a charity of community group) with managerial, professional and technical experience, including for trustee positions. 89 Albert Embankment, London, SE1 7TP, phone 020 7582 6543. Also has Scottish, Welsh and NI bases.

Bar in the Community is a Bar Council initiative which aims to help voluntary sector groups by identifying barristers willing to serve on Management Committees. It is not about barristers providing free legal advice, rather that they have many other valuable skills which would benefit voluntary organisations. Bar in the Community, c/o Bar Pro Bono Unit, 289-293 High Holborn, London WC1V 7HZ, phone 020 7611 9511.

ICSA (company secretaries) runs a trustee register to help with the recruitment of charity trustees.

Trustees Unlimited is a joint venture of NCVO, Bates Wells and Russam, to support good governance and find new trustees. Note: nota free service.

Trustee Finder is a service from Small Charities Coalition and the volunteering site Do-it.

Business in the Community NI can help with skilled volunteers, including board members.

Also see: our Consultancy page for projects putting professionals with particular skills in touch with local projects (under Business Links). Sector support bodies sometimes publish such ‘opportunities’ or have lists.


Voluntary organisations have members for a whole host of reasons. Some exist purely for their members, such as self-help groups (educational as well as supportive), others want member involvement in campaigns, raising funds or volunteer activities to carry out various functions . While there are many membership issues in common, such as keeping records (see Membership Software), others will be more particular. If making comparisons with other groups on how they handle members, do think about what is different in your case and apply lessons appropriately.


The Charity Commission has produced (April 1999) with ICSA, a guide to Charities and meetings (ref CC48), with suggestions on good practice, specimen notice and venue checklist as well guidance on the law. Registered charities should obtain in the usual way from the Charity Commission.

Members’ Code of Conduct

When asked a question on this, we wondered why this wasn’t an issue with a higher profile. Perhaps it is because of the diversity of the sector. On a quick Google search, we came up with 2 contrasting examples: a family history society and a Lesbian, gay centre (ie building based), while the enquirer was going to have service users alongside community professionals and public sector members . What is essential for one could be completely over the top for another. We’ve looked at these as we put together something of a checklist on issues to consider. We would suggest that shortness, clarity and keeping the Code as ‘unheavy’ as possible are good guiding rules.

  • Control of the identity and intellectual property of the organisation. Should you highlight the need for permission to use the logo or name, reproduction or re-use of (published) material, who is allowed to speak on your behalf?
  • Conduct on the premises. In many instances, reference to ‘acceptable types of behaviour’ may be sufficient; in more sensitive contexts explicit reference to unacceptable actions which will result in immediate suspension/removal may be appropriate. What members should do if encountering abuse (of themselves, another person or the premises/equipment).
  • Codes for undertaking activities – e.g. field work. This starts to overlap with volunteering codes or policies, but if member means effectively the same as volunteer, does there need to be a separate document?
  • Are there more than one type of member? E.g. service users, service providers or volunteers. Where is the appropriate place to define conduct or boundaries of relationships? Are there possible professional discretions which could complicate a wish for complete openness, for instance?
  • Complaints, grievances. Who to address them to, how, timescales for response, maybe set procedures.
  • Disciplinary procedure / why and how someone’s membership might be revoked.
  • More positive statements about supporting the ideals and aims of the organisation. Tolerance of views, lifestyles, equal ops.
  • Establishing common expectations amongst members, to enhance interaction and understanding, reduce conflicts. Declarations of interest when debating issues.
  • Appropriate reference to the constitution. Try not to repeat or overlap too much, as that complicates any later amendments and peoples understanding of the legal position. The constitution, whether for a club, trust or a limited company, should always be seen as the prime document. Standing orders for meetings is another place for rules which could connect up (e.g. exercising voting rights, rules of debate).

Where membership may, entirely or partly, consist of other organisations, issues are more likely to be about avoiding conflicts of interest, clarity of roles and legal responsibility (which body is a person representing?).

Information Management

Knowledge management, along with open data/data sharing, is on a separate page.

Data Protection

The main thrust of Data Protection is protecting against abuse of data held on individuals. If you hold info purely with reference to their position in an organisation it doesn’t count as personal data, and there are specific exemptions around membership of voluntary organisations, keeping accounts and marketing own goods and services. Bu if you record anything more than name and address and the minimum data needed to carry out the basic business activity of, for exmaple sending a book order, or use this info to do a follow up mailing for instance, then it comes within the legislation. The rules have to be followed, whether your organisation has registered (now known as Notification) with the Information Commissioner’s Office or not.

From March 2000, the 1998 Data Protection Act extended the provisions of the original legislation, to include manual filing systems where personal information is readily accessible, and gives ‘data subjects’ the right to withdraw consent on various things, including direct marketing. There were transitional arrangement which ended October 2001, for personal data from before 24th October 1998.

Data collection has to be fair. This now means that the individual must know who is doing the collecting, and the purposes for which the data are intended to be used. Data shouldn’t be kept for longer than necessary, must be kept secure, and should be adequate, relevant and accurate (which includes up-to-date where appropriate). There are extra restrictions around export of data outside the EC (+ Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein) and sensitive data, which would include political opinions for instance. Your organisation should have someone who has clear responsibility for ensuring Data Protection issues are acted upon.

Registration currently costs £35, annually renewable, and you can register for as many purposes, data types and sources as you need for that amount. The Information Commission is also responsible for the Freedom of Information law – see their web site for data implications and more details on Data Protection, or phone 01625 545700. Or check out the training available from Directory of Social Change in particular, who also publish Data Protection for voluntary organisations handbook (second edition).

Staff handbooks/office manuals/systems and procedures

It is good practice, and often very revealing, to produce an ‘internal systems manual’. Where there is a specialist finance worker (or volunteer), finance procedures are usually written up separately, but otherwise they could be incorporated in the overall one. We have some samples of various such documents, and also put together a Checklist of Policies and Procedures which would typically be included in an office manual. You shouldn’t just reproduce these – all organisations are different, and you will have arranged responsibilities or split activities differently. But not starting with a blank sheet is a great help.

On VolResource: sample financial procedures. Also some personnel management forms – see Checklist or People Management page for references.

Another item of great value is an organisational chart. This is often just of the staffing structure, but in a voluntary organisation a picture of the committee structure is often essential to understand how decisions are made and where responsibility lies. In a complex or large body, these may need to be separate charts, but cross-references should be made. See DSC Information Management book below for a helpful information flow charting approach.

Health and Safety

Some Issues

This incorporates some basics from Sandy Adirondack’s legal page:

Health and safety are important, and the standard of care imposed by legislation is pretty much the same regardless of the size of the organisation. All organisations must carry out a risk assessment identifying the risks to employees, other workers, clients, members of the public and anyone who comes onto the organisation’s premises or uses its services. They must then draw up a health and safety scheme setting out a programme to reduce the risks, or to minimise the negative impact if they do happen. The risk assessment and scheme must be in writing if the employer has more than four employees. For these purposes, it is probably best to count any volunteer doing more than a few hours a week as an employee.

Where an employee is under 18, the employer has to carry out a specific assessment taking into account the fact that young people may be inexperienced, immature and/or less aware of risks than adults. These requirements are set out in the Health and Safety (Young Persons) Regulations 1997.

Employers are required to display a Health and Safety information poster prominently, or alternatively circulate an equivalent leaflet to all employees (which should be extended to include regular volunteers) – see HSE entry below. The ‘new’ version of this (published October 1999) must now be in place. They must also register their existence and the nature of their activities with the ‘relevant enforcing authority’. Unless you are involved in manufacturing or provide a service such as television repair, this should be the local authority environment health department. Don’t forget you also need Employers Liability insurance.

Management Committee members (which includes trustees, board members etc.) equate to company directors, and have serious H&S duties. See the Leading Health and Safety at Work section of HSE website.

Most organisations need Public Liability insurance too.


Repetitive Strain Injury aka Upper Limb Disorder (HSE terminology). An estimated 4.2 million working days are lost in Britain each year due to about half a million upper limb or neck disorder sufferers, with each employee taking an average of 13 days off work, says HSE.

  • There is an RSI Action.
  • HSE guidance on the best ways to prevent and manage RSI and similar conditions, updated Feb 02. Upper Limb Disorders in the Workplace, ISBN 0-7176-1978-8, price £9.50.

Food Hygiene

Food hygiene legislation governs the handling, storage and preparation of food on a premises in the course of a business. Occasional sales of cakes, pickles etc for charity shouldn’t be caught by this but it would still be a good idea to follow the associated guidelines where possible. Should be available on Food Standards Agency.

Connected but covered by separate legislation (Food Labelling Regulations 1996) food labelling is not required for food that isn’t prepared as part of a business.

Health and Safety Agencies

Health and Safety Executive

The HSE is the government agency concerned with enforcing regulations in Britain, but also provides a lot of guidance.  Its main site isn’t bad, and they have a number of reasonably well put together micro-sites, including:

Small Business pages Largely applicable to most new (and existing) voluntary organisations, a good starting point and relatively digestible.

Workers web page.

Their material has generally improved a lot, although it can still be a bit heavy. From 2009, many previously priced publications are available for free download, some others can be ordered in single copies free, and there’s loads of useful resources on the website. Also see HSE Bookshop, PO Box 1999, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 2WA, phone 01787 881165. Leaflets to get include:

  • Health and Safety Law, ref 0717617025, which is the information leaflet you can (and should) circulate to staff (Welsh version ref 0717617408).
  • The OfficeWise leaflet takes a little while to download, due to cartoon graphics, but gives a feel for what you need to think about.
  • We suggest getting the First Aid guidance and Everyone’s Guide to RIDDOR (basically notification of accidents) for reference.

Other relevant publications worth looking out for – please note that we haven’t checked what is available since HSE made many publications free to download.

  • ‘Charities and Voluntary Workers: a guide to health and safety at work’.
  • Fire Safety: An employer’s guide.
  • Basic Advice on First Aid at Work and First Aid at Work: Your questions answered (INDG214L).
  • Guidance for home care service providers: Handling home care: Achieving safe, efficient and positive outcomes for care workers and clients. They say that this is “one of the highest risk areas for back injury”. Union GMB says “Care sector employers must ensure that they use the HSE guide to control stress, take measures to alleviate manual handling problems and ensure a safe working environment”. While aimed at care service managers and others assessing mobility assistance risks, it will also be of interest to care workers. There is also Health and Safety in Care Homes.

Health and Safety Northern Ireland

See the small business advisory service of the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (was a separate website, Health and Safety Works NI). The publication ‘Charity and Voluntary Organisations – a health and safety guide’ (new 2014) seems to have disappeared, Dec. 2016.

Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland is the regulatory body for the country.

Useful Resources

Directory of Social Change run some related training courses.

In Scotland, Healthy Working Lives was set up to address the needs of small and medium enterprises, which includes most voluntary organisations. Occupational Health and Safety Adviceline on 0800 019 2211. Resources section.

The government’s Gov.Uk Health and safety at work pages.

British Safety Council Produce publications, will audit your premises etc, membership available. Phone 020 8741 1231, email: mail@britsafe.org

Chancellor Formecon for health and safety forms and checklists.

See Running an Event page for info on The Good Practice Safety Guide for small events and sporting events on highways, roads, and in public places.

London Hazards Centre Free advice service for Londoners, particularly aimed at community groups and workplace health and safety reps. Also information resources (some available to members over the web), training, inspections, research. Hampstead Town Hall Centre, 213 Haverstock Hill, London, NW3 4QP, phone 020 7794 5999, email: mail@lhc.org.uk

Institution of Occupational Safety & Health The professional body for safety and health practitioners. Register of consultants, information, training.

Labour Research Department, the trade union research organisation, produces a monthly health and safety bulletin Safety Rep. For further details, phone Paul Stephenson or Andrea Oates on 020 7902 9826, email: hs@lrd.org.uk

The TUC has set up a health and safety campaign for young workers, with an advice leaflet, Work Safe. Know you Rights phone line: 0870 600 7882. The TUC Health and Safety web pages has lots of material – under Workplace guidance. You can register for a weekly Risks e-bulletin, although the VolResource email newsletter should extract all the relevant items. The Hazards at Work Manual gives very comprehensive coverage – available for order from TUC Publications. General contact for TUC Publications, Congress House, Great Russell St, London, WC1B 3LS.

Hazards magazine is TUC supported, with various news and factsheets available from the web site

Safeworkers is another site providing information around workplace safety, although the lack of information about their authors and expertise doesn’t generate trust in its material.

Various publishers have Health and Safety manuals. Gee’s Health and Safety FactFinder includes CD-ROM updated 6 times a year, phone helpline, email alert on news items, bimonthly newsletter. Not cheap – £700 odd – but should cover everything you need. See contact info on Admin page.

First Aid Training (and kits) can be sourced from a number of charities, such as British Red Cross, St Johns Ambulance.

Working Conditions

Some of these could fall under Health and Safety, but may be more about establishing a good working environment than a ‘legal minimum’:

Temperature There is a minimum (16 degrees Celsius), but no maximum. However, hot and sticky workers are not going to be happy or productive. Possible remedies: fans, blinds (suitably adjustable), cooled water dispenser.

Smoking Indoor smoking bans have been around for a while now, so the websites set up at their introduction are starting to be retired (spring 2015). Try these links:

Smells Some people are very sensitive, for one reason or another, to chemicals in perfumes. Bans have already happened in the US, under disability legislation. Could your organisation have an issue?

Disabled Access Are there simple things you can do to improve accessibility? See Building Management section. Organisations are now obliged to consider access issues when providing services, although practicability of making changes (including cost where there are limited funds) should be taken into account. A one-off funding application for widening access is often attractive to charitable trusts, and also some statutory funders.



Buildings, office and communication management, admin resources etc.

General administrative matters not featured elsewhere on VolResource.

Health and Safety has a separate page.

Communications admin

Telecoms advice TelecomsAdvice is an independent website for small businesses who need to know about using telecoms and the Internet.

Handling phone volume surges While there are quite a lot of call centre services around, not all will understand enough about the sector to provide appropriate handling of awareness campaigns, good or bad publicity surges and the like. Those involved with fundraising or membership processing may be well placed – see Membership services. Otherwise try BSS, a registered charity which runs BSS Linklines (phone 0161 455 1206).

BT’s online Phone Book (aka Directory Enquiries). If you have name and area, and perhaps part of the address, try this facility.

Telephone & Fax Preference Services Online look-up Data Protection regulations now make it illegal to carry out direct marketing via phone calls (or fax) to individuals who have opted-out. There is a corporate TPS where organisations can register to avoid getting cold calls. Those undertaking direct marketing must check against these lists – more details.

Postcodes and address validation To find a postcode for an address, or look up a postcode, see the Royal Mail.

Postage Rates There is a Calculator on the Royal Mail site, as well as straight Postal Prices info.

Other online address or phone number databases. There are various online business search sites. They keep on changing, so do a Google to find!

Telephone Conferencing

Community Network used to provide this service for charities and other not-for-profit agencies, but as the website forwards to The Phone Coop (at April 2014) we presume it has closed.

BT Conferencing has various options, including Conference Call Presence, which puts conference phone calls alongside web meeting facilities (for up to 20), so you can share documents, ‘whiteboard’, presentations etc as you talk (you will need to have internet access separate from your voice phone line). No set-up costs, but 50p per participant per minute. Phone 0800 800 778.

There are certainly other such services, and voice over internet (VOIP) services such as Skype (mainly free, but more sophisticated services cost) provide a cost-effective approach, particularly for international calls.

Building management

A greatly neglected area but a well-managed building (whether an office, community centre or whatever) can make a lot of difference in the motivation of staff and how efficiently the organisation runs. On the downside, problems can create a lot of friction and be very time-consuming to resolve.

Community Matters has closed (was the place to go on all things community building).

Rural community/village halls – see ACRE’s Village Halls information service. In Scotland, check SCVO services, as they did have a village halls network.

Food Hygiene: Food Standards Agency’s ‘Community and charity food provision: guidance on the application of EU food hygiene law‘ current link appears to have gone at April 2018, so this is to a 2015 draft! Particularly targeted at community halls.

The Carbon Trust provides energy saving services. Also see the self-survey pack Energy Efficiency in Community Buildings, which advises on what measures and improvements could be made, depending on how the building is used and how often, and provides pointers to further support and advice. Was available from National Energy Action publications page.

The Ethical Property Foundation has set up an advice web site, covering key property issues around looking for an office, moving in or out, and managing your office which gives more detail on some of the issues below. Further advice, particularly for London-based groups, is available.

Also see: Charities Facilities Management Special Interest Group of Upkeep, listed on Functional Support page; Premises section of suppliers page.

Some areas to check out


See the Insurances info page.


National Non-Domestic Rates are applicable in England and Wales on all non-residential properties. Apply for mandatory charity 80% relief as soon as you receive an assessment, if not before, and see whether you can apply for the remaining discretionary 20%. Voluntary organisations which aren’t registered charities will have to check out the local council’s policy on extending this to them. Revaluations generally every 5 years – 2005, 2010. Check the Business Premises section of Gov.Uk (or search for Valuation Office Agency) – if you know your charging (local) authority and postcode you can get the current Rateable Value here. (Their explanation of the system includes the multiplier to use when calculating actual rates.) DCLG is the responsible government department.


If you are going to install an alarm, how many people do you need to act as keyholders for call-outs? Can they actually get there out-of-hours (safely)? The less people operating the system, the fewer false alarms you are likely to get – police cover is usually removed if there are too many of these in a given period (at time of writing, 7 in a year in Met Police area, or 4 if cover has previously been withdrawn.) In urban areas, you can probably pay for a ‘keyholding’ service, which will answer call-outs and re-set the system for you, but make sure you are clear what each call-out costs.

Trading company

Charities often set up trading companies to carry out ‘non-charitable’ aspects of their work, whether its selling merchandise or commercial sponsorship deals. Smaller organisations won’t have separate staff, and ‘just’ apportion costs appropriately. Where the parent is a registered charity, care should be taken over charging a trading subsidiary a proper market rent, as subsidy is not allowed under charity law. (Source advice from Russell Cooke Solicitors charity team.)

TV licence

Businesses (which includes most voluntary organisations) need a licence to cover each premises they occupy. As well as television sets, dont forget this includes video recorders and TV enabled PCs. Multiple premises can be listed on one licence by arrangement. Concessionary rates for ‘Accommodation for Residential Care’, phone 0870 240 1291 for info or see web site. TV Licensing, Bristol, BS98 1TL.


Disabled access to services has implications for premises. From 1st October 2004 service providers have to take reasonable steps to alter premises or other physical features that make it impossible or unreasonably difficult for disabled people to use a service. If you manage premises intended for public use, an access audit would be in order – identifying what the problems are, how to eliminate them, budget costs and a prioritised action plan to use for fundraising. See Equal Ops section on VolResource for more links on disability issues (in service provision and employment).

The Centre for Accessible Environments has some information available online and may be able to provide cheap or even free advice to community groups.

Admin Resources

Don’t forget that specific areas of admin (such as charity registration) are dealt with on other VolResource pages.

ICSA (Institute for Chartered Secretaries and Administrators) Charity Secretaries Group may have closed, – for chartered secretaries and others taking on a company secretarial role in voluntary organisations. Contact ICSA, 16 Park Crescent, London, W1N 4AH, phone 020 7612 7040.

TSO Online Bookshop (was The Stationery Office) is the key source for all statutory publications, and a wide range of official and business publications.

Handbooks and Manuals

There are a number of publishers of manuals on such things as Health and Safety, Company Administration, Payroll, and the like – Tolleys, Jordans and Croners are listed on the Publishers page as they also do some specific to the voluntary sector.

Another publisher in the field is/was Gee, now part of Wolters Kluwer (along with Croners).